Just a few snapshots from our weekend. I’m making an effort to pick up my Nikon more rather than relying on my phone so much.

The final requirement of Nicholas’ merit badge in fishing is to catch, clean and cook a fish – and it’s the one thing he didn’t get a chance to complete during summer camp this year.

This weekend he spent some time with my mom trying to catch a fish off the end of her dock and I sat off to the side for a while, capturing images of these two people I love so much.

It never ceases to amaze me, the casual way my mom handles the task of putting all the worms on all the hooks. It’s one of the biggest reasons that she’s so essential to the entire operation. Nicholas and I are both giant babies when it comes to worms and hooks – so my mom takes one for the team.

I was grateful for the amazing summer evening on the water and those couple of hours with my mom, catching up – but not catching any fish. We’ll just keep trying.

Nicholas suggested that we just buy a Filet-O-Fish sandwich at McDonald’s and close the book on this merit badge, which was followed by yet another impassioned speech on my part about how anything worth having requires hard work.

Copious amounts of eyerolling ensued.

I took a couple of breaks from working to putter around in the kitchen this weekend. I revisited a recipe from this past spring for Banana Crumb Muffins, but forgot to look back to my post from back then to see that I added brown sugar and nutmeg to the recipe.

So they were a bit dry this time compared to back then. Still delicious, but slightly less decadent. The next day I had a brief attack of awesomeness when I decided to merge the banana muffin with the best peanut butter on the planet from Trader Joe’s.

The result was nothing short of spectacular, so I had to declare the remainder of the muffins off limits for my own protection.

The next afternoon I decided to reward myself for not eating all those muffins by making some Strawberry Rhubarb ice cream, which is probably the best ice cream we’ve made in our new ice cream maker so far.

I’m almost certain the recipe is written for a 2-quart ice cream maker, though, and ours is 1.5 quarts. I had to remove some of it as the mixture froze in order to keep it from overflowing. And then (obviously) we had to eat that portion because there are laws about such things. I’m not complaining, but I’ll have to remember to cut the recipe down by about 25% in the future.

Be ye warned.

Also this weekend Tom installed a highly anticipated new ceiling fan in my office and employee morale hasn’t been this high since we had cable installed back here two weeks ago.

Tom’s morale while installing it, however, plummeted down to “going to choke someone” level. Like most things in this house, installation wasn’t as straightforward as we anticipated and required a few trips to the hardware store and some minor reframing in the attic above my office.

I can say minor because I didn’t have to go up into our 125 degree attic and do it.

The weekend ended with Nicholas and I out on a two-mile walk – something we never really do. But after 40 minutes of each others’ undivided attention I feel as though it’s something I want to try to do every week with him, at least while it’s still warm out.

Because he’s just so interesting. Especially when I get him away from gadgets and gizmos, and he actually responds to questions with something more elaborate than “I don’t know” or “I guess so” or “I don’t really remember.”

Most of our in-depth conversations happen in the car at this point, when it’s just the two of us and no outside distractions. But we don’t usually travel very far and I’m often left wishing it took  a little longer to get from here to there because it seems as though he’s only just begun to start opening up and then we’re at our destination and he’s off.

So you may think to yourself, did it really take us 40 minutes to walk 2 miles? You better believe it did.